It’s been a week since I returned from Las Vegas and I’m still not sure what to tell people when they ask me how it was. I don’t want to sound whiny and ungrateful and it’s also not true to say I hated it. But it’s fair to say I won’t be heartbroken if I never return. I guess it didn’t help that I was there for work and it is winter so days are short and I hardly saw any sunshine during that week. That said, with a good amount of money and super low expectations, I can see myself having fun there again. So anyway, here are 10 random facts about my week in Vegas and some random photos from the trip as well.
1. Flying business class is the shit. I know it makes me sound like Karl Pilkington (the one who didn’t want to fly to China and eat toad in case he liked it and couldn’t get it back in the UK) but the problem with being flown long-haul in business class (on someone else’s dime) is that economy class is now forever ruined for me. Seriously, having your own bed on the plane is amazing. Also, unlimited wine. Enough said.
2. When I landed in Vegas and got out of the plane and into the terminal, I saw at least 100 slot machines before I could spot the sign for the bathrooms. Priorities there are just a little bit screwed up.
3. I have apparently become too used to the small scale of things in New Zealand. Everything in Vegas seems built for giants, from the size of the buildings to the size of their drink glasses.
4. It is way safer than I imagined. Having watched about 34,560 episodes of Cops, I was expecting to have guns pointed at me. Missed out on that American experience, clearly, and met some really nice people instead.
5. The noise of the slot machines can get really annoying really quickly.
6. I’m now pretty used to getting electric shocks every time I touch my mousepad or call an elevator. Static electricity also meant I couldn’t wear my hair down without looking like I’d been sticking my fingers into power plugs.
7. I am terrible at packing for a trip on my own and will forget the most basic of items.
8. Some people’s stomachs can handle getting drunk early in the morning. Not mine.
9. I get why people talk about the fountains at the Bellagio so much. I’ve got no photographic evidence of having seen them at night but it’s okay because I remember it well and it was pretty damn cool.
10. It is possible to function with only a very limited amount of sleep for days in a row. But then you’ll fly back home and crash and want to sleep for two weeks straight. With that in mind, nap time!
January 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm
You have to admit that Vegas is pretty amazing. (just like the saying, everything is bigger in Texas) It is “Disneyland for adults” they have capitalized on the wonders of the world….
Pingback: The big 2012 highlights post everyone is writing too « super generic girl
July 11, 2014 at 3:05 am
Hi people if you can’t earn any money online try – bluehand roulette system – it
earns me extra money everyday, just google it
February 17, 2015 at 5:19 am
Hello thks is kinda of off topic bbut I was wondering if blogs use
WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually cde with HTML.
I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience soo
I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
Any help would be enormously appreciated!
March 24, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Its such aas you learn myy thoughts! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it orr
something. I think that you could do with a few p.c.
to pressure thee message house a little bit,
however other than that, this is excellent blog.
A fantaatic read. I will certainly be back.